Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Song of my life

Well, I grew up in Kittery,
Fishing town down by the sea,
Babysitter took me to Sunday School,
Where I learned about God's rules,

My teacher's wished I'd raise my hand,
Shy I was I didn't want to stand,
Daddy went off to Scotland town,
On a submarine and I was down,

Missed him so I cried at night,
Little girls need their daddies all right
Mom was there she had us four,
No help at home, that's for sure

I was the oldest girl of daughter's three
I had too much responsibility,
By eighth grade I could really spell,
Won a state contest, sure was swell,

In high school was asked to a dance,
Played softball and by chance,
Shy girl became a star athlete,
Hit a home run, I was fast on my feet

Loved to stand in English class
Recite poetry, prose, now that’s a fact
The day that graduation came
To my surprise they called my name

The shyest girl of eighteen years
Stood up proud holding back her tears
Then got in my car and moved away
To the Bible belt where people pray

Found my Jesus from my church pew
I am one of his chosen few
I serve the Lord most diligently
My heart’s passion’s to help set captives free

Got married had a baby girl
Dressed her up, and she did twirl
At age four she went to church pre-school
Where she learned about God’s rules

Then I became a single mom
Life was hard, not much fun
Did my best to raise her well
God knows my heart, I pray tell

Went to college got an English degree
Wrote an essay and they published me
The very best job that I ever had
Was being a mom, for that I am glad

I use my gift of poetry and prose
Write about things, as I try to help those
Who are oppressed, no fault of their own
I am God’s servant and he’s on his throne

So when my day is all done here
And he calls me home, I’ll not fear
Cause I loved serving him each day
I’ll bow my head one last time and pray
Heartstrings Two, Copyright © 2008 by Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment