Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Wild Mustang Named Star

Got a sweet story to tell you. It is about how I met some country folks, here in Smithfield, North Carolina. On a trip to Maine from Florida, I had stopped over in this town and stayed overnight in a lodge. One night, I took a walk down a long country road, and a dog followed me home. Her name was Precious. She happened to be a boxer, and she brought three people together before she left this earth. They wanted me to come and visit again, and being as it is at a time in my life, where I am trying to find out where the good Lord would have me to live, it seemed fitting to come now. The peacocks, who were on top of the barn seemed to remember me. An animal never forgets it when someone feeds them...I noticed a new horse named Star. It seems that she was rescued from a family who had not been taking good care of her. She was of a beautiful dark brown coat, though thin, and I found out, not trusting of people. My friend told me that she had originated from the outer banks of the Carolinas. I went on over to her and I held out my hand, and she moved over to the other side of the fence and put her head down. In that moment, I felt sad for that horse. You see, I have had a hard time in my life trusting people, and I knew just how that horse felt. You love people and they hurt you. Right there, I wept a few tears as I thought to myself, that I had been like her. But my Jesus, he showed me that if I would just place my trust in him, he would fill that empty place. So, I went into the house and peeled about eight apples. I decided that I was going to try and feed Star. I put those apple peelings on my hand and I waited for her to come right on over at my coaxing, but she did not right away. She looked at it, all the while looking at me with that look of distrust. So, I had a thought to toss it to the ground to have her see that I was trying to feed her, and she would see that it was good, and then we would start building up some trust between the two of us. And I talked to her in a sweet voice. Well, next thing you know, I was standing there and she was eating out of my hand. And I just loved the way she took it so gracefully and how she nuzzled my hand, and the feeling of what had been accomplished between us. We worked up to carrots, and noodles, and I must say the man of the house was quite surprised, since she would not eat out of his hand, and when I go over to her stall now, she comes right on over to see me. She is learning to trust me, and I sure like it when she caresses my hand so soft and sweet, and I remember when I was a little girl back on the farm in Appleton, Maine, when I first learned how to trust a horse.

1 comment: