Friday, June 26, 2009

The 25 Cent Teddy Bear

I have a story to tell. A few years ago my daughter and I were up north in Maine visiting family. I have been a single mom since 1992, my daughter was five. My folks asked us to go with them to visit my sister Brenda, her husband Tom and my two nephews Matthew and Michael. They have a nice Cape Cod house out in the country, away from the town itself. As we were going around many winding roads leading there I spotted a garage sale, what Maine folks live for on a Saturday morning! My dad piped up "I'll go back there with you." As we approached the home there were items on tables in the front of the garage. I immediately spotted a light brown teddy bear with blue paws and around his ears, and the cutest nose I've ever seen. It was love at first sight. I knew I had to have him and I saw his worth, for I loved cuddly teddy bears. I picked him up and drew him to me and felt his hug ability. I knew I wanted him. I asked the girl how much she was asking for him. She said "how about 25 cents"? I thought, what a bargain, although in my heart I knew that bear had a greater value, she just didn't want him anymore. I had felt like that bear before Christ came into my heart. So he was now part of my family. When we got home I washed him in Ivory Snow and found him to be a white bear with blue paws! He had not been washed in awhile I thought to myself. Someone had not been taking care of him. This 25 cent bear has been something I could hug when I was lonely and has graced my bed ever since. When I take naps I lay him on top of me, it comforts me. I love him. He served a most mighty purpose a few months ago. He laid beside my child who was in a coma, in a trauma unit of a hospital, with Jesus pinned to his collar. When I couldn't be there with her, I left my most precious bear beside her, so she wouldn't feel lonely, and I delicately placed some of my perfume on his collar so she would feel my presence. They told me I couldn't stay at the hospital with her, but as the bear had comforted me, I knew it would her too. We are all worth something. If God can take a 25 cent bear and do a mighty work through him, what could he do for you?
Heartstrings Two, Copyright © 2008 by Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment