Thursday, June 25, 2009

At the Cross

I sit here at the cross
of the Mission of Nombre de Dios
in St. Augustine, Florida
it is so peaceful

I hear the church bells ring
and the birds sing their last song
before the sun sets
and they go to their nests

I see the reflection of the cross on the water
a boat arrives in the bay with a load of fish
the seagulls sing one after another

The clouds appear in the sky
as angels in white with blue robes

Two men in a motor boat
have been fishing for clams in the bay
he steers it with a long handle in the back

People pass me by
while out walking their dogs
it is the best place in the world
to be sitting on the base of the cross

My heart is filled to overflowing
with the peace of God
at the foot of the cross

Church bells ring again, three times
ding dong, ding dong, ding dong
then five loud single notes follow
dong, dong, dong, dong, dong,

The sun appears out of the clouds
and warms me
I wish that I could stay here forever...
Heartstrings Two, Copyright © 2008 by Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment