Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Boy in the Hole (in southern dialect)

"Momma," I says, "comma heah momma.
I seah da black mayen
down in deah big black hoe.
He is diggin down in theyah
and it is purty deep.
I seah a white mayen
standin ovah the hole
lookin down at him.
He has a white hat on his head
and he is shootin awdis
at dat litta boy down in theyah.
He caint be moya den ten year owed.
Momma ma heart it hurt to see it,
a little boy jist ten yeahs old
diggin dirt for a slice a bread,
is all he gits fom dat man.
I watch him give em da otha day.
Why he jist sit deah while dat litta boy
work his litta baby self
ah tired and all.
Momma, I think I gonna cry, momma,
I caint take it no longah,
he is my brothah, momma."
Heartstrings Two, Copyright © 2008 by Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment