Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Flag

I remember when I was a little girl at Shapleigh Elementary School
in Kittery, Maine. The teacher would say "Children, it is now time to
stand for the Pledge of Allegiance." And we all stood in succession
and placed our right hands over our hearts. When you're a little kid
sometimes you get the hand wrong but your heart is always right.
And so we began, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States
Of America and to the Republic for which it stands, One Nation under
God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." We were children but
we knew the words and we spoke with pride for our country. Now I
am older and see the flag and I remember what I was taught as a
little
girl
in
school
to
always
respect
the
flag
and
what
it
stands
for.
Heartstrings Two, Copyright © 2008 by Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment